1982 mercury 80hp outboard, PLEASE HELP(stalling)

brian1020

Recruit
Ok, so i bought a 1982 80 hp mercury outboard. I took it to a great boat guy, hes a retired engineer whos been working on boats 20 plus yrs. So he put a new control switch, trigger, rewired the harnesses, rebuilt carbs, new fuel pump. He ran compression tests and electrical output and all is good. I tore out all the old fuel lines and put new lines, tanks, and filter. Also new plugs. The problem is that it runs great out of water. When i put it in gear it will run 5mph all day long. When i go past the threshhold it stalls and sputters and will cut off if i dont pull it back. Yesterday when i had it on the water, it ran like a champ for about two minutes about 35mph. I had to slow down and went to get on it again, same thing, 5mph or cut off. Ive been reading other posts but they hadnt had their carbs and all the work done. Im at a loss right now, he cant see the problem b/c he cant run it in water, he just sees it runs great infront of him. Maybe timing, i dont know, any ideas would be great, i just dont see how it runs like crap, 2min later wide open, 2min after that crap again. PLEASE HELP, this is driving me nuts, thanks.

suzukidory

Cadet
Re: 1982 mercury 80hp outboard, PLEASE HELP(stalling)

i have exactly the same problem on my mercury 50 4 cylinder of similar age to yours i get tick over or full throttle but nothing in between if i turn the engine off wait 5 minutes and then start and go to full throttle she runs like a dream flat out but if i decrease revs she dies and wont pick back up so i have tick over and full throttle only i have replaced most of my engine as i have 4 engines the same so am not stuck for spares but this fault is driving me mad too i posted on here but had no replys hope we get some soon

brian1020

Recruit

I was told to elevate my fuel tank and see if that would help the pump out but no luck. I took all the lines off, made sure they were clean, and no blockages or ventilation problems. Im getting good fuel flow so im just lost at this point. Another guy suggested an electric in line fuel pump, of course a regulator as well, im not sure what the psi should be or if this is a good idea, seems to me the new pump should have no problem picking up the fuel no lower than the tanks sit.

If i figure out the problem, ill be sure to let you know, please tell me if you find yours.

suzukidory

Cadet

that is definately not a good idea !!!! mechanical fuel pumps fail when the engine stops an inline electric one would be dangerous as it would continue to pump fuel int o a faulty engine maybe or even to an engine on fire so definately dont go that route sort out the existing fuel pump if you think that is the problem its very easy and reltively inexpensive to overhaul fuel pump

Firsttimer1

Cadet

Have you tried to replace the fuel pump primer bulb. There is a little check ball that sometimes can get stuck only allowing enough fuel to get to the motor at slow speeds in the water. and out of water doesnt have the load as it does in the water so you dont need as much fuel for the motor.... Just a thought

brian1020

Recruit

Yes ive changed the primer bulb, bought a new one when i replaced the lines, also it was doing the same thing the first time when i bought the boat with the old one on it.

pbgeneral

Seaman

Did your mech do a synch and link on the system after removing the carbs and trigger?

brian1020

Recruit

i dont know what a synch and link is, and im sure he didnt say anything about that.

pbgeneral

Seaman

ANYTIME the carbs are removed it is recommended to do a synch and link procedure. Also if he replaced the trigger. The synch and link is a procedure that times the ignition timming to the throttles of the carbs. There are about 4 or 5 steps in this process. idle timming pick up mark, idle stop adj., full throttle ing timming, full throttle stop adj. ect. It sounds like to me that the ignintion timming is perhaps out of adj., I just replaced my trigger, and was amazed how far off the new one was compeared to the old on that was on it. I would check and see if he did this.