2005 60 hp power tilt not holding

4buzz8

Cadet
I just bought a boat with a 60 hp 2005 merc 2 stroke and took it out for a test run and the power tilt/trim is not holding. I don't see any fluid leaking. When I put it back on the trailer and raised the motor I could push it down by hand. The motor sat unused for almost four years. The old owner told me that he may have put 15 to 20 hours on it. Is there a check valve or solenoid that may be stuck or not working.

vance14

Cadet
Re: 2005 60 hp power tilt not holding

I have the 40hp version of that engine and you are suppose to be able to move the engine up and down by hand,if it is locked and you hit something good bye lower end.Mine used to sink slowly down until it bottomed out and this took at least 24 hrs.The dealer flushed the system out twice because they thought there was a piece of dirt in the system causing a leak , but the wound up replacing the whole assembly under warranty .

vance

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

4buzz8, chances are the engine sat long enough for the seals in the ram to dry out and not be sealing properly. You may need to rebuild.

4buzz8

Cadet

Can I rebuild it myself or is there special tools needed? I do all my own auto mechanic work. I've never owned a Mercury before.

gjblanchard

Cadet

I have a 2007 Merc 50 ELPTO and it wouldn't hold position. Turned out there is a nylon screw in the side of the hydraulic trim unit. I replaced the screw and little o-ring that's on it and that cured the problem. That's the cheapest possible way out of this issue so I'd try that first.

4buzz8

Cadet

Was it leaking oil at that screw? I think that is the emergency release screw per the manual. I see that there is a E clip or C clip at the base of the screw. Did you have to remove the clip first or did it just unscrew?