Help Identifying what model my Mercury 140hp is (serial# plate missing)

bugzqld

Recruit
Hi Everyone.

I'm kinda a noob with boat engines (car engines i know) and need help identifying my engine year and exact model. Hopefully i'm doing this right. I've read a number of pages for previous posts & been on so many sites but didn't find an answer to my question. I've been looking at threads from a lot of forums trying to get a 100% answer on the model of my engine but without a serial # i'm making very little progress.

The serial number plate is missing and I've looked at a number of sites to narrow it down based on the fact that its a 140HP inline 6 engine but have been unsuccessful. Hopefully you may be able to help if i give you some details about what i do know. Any help is appreciated :)

I "think" its a 1979 model. The engine covers state it's a Mercury Kiekhaefer Thunderbolt Ignition 140hp. It's a triple carby inline 6.

The numbers on the engine are as follows

Cylinder Block - 852-4880
Head - 948-6262. Engraved into the one of the brackets from the head to the dizzy are the numbers 8003183
Carby - Mercarb 1399-1930 & 1399-4664 & WMK9
Starter motor - 5057465
Fuel pump - 66529 (aftermarket as far as i can tell)

I'm going to try attach some pics. Hopefully it works. Again i appreciate any help :) Thanks

Mercury 140hp Cowling-1.jpgMercury 140hp Cowling-2.jpgMercury 140hp Engine-1.jpgMercury 140hp Engine-2.jpgMercury 140hp Engraved Numbers.jpg

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help Identifying what model my Mercury 140hp is (serial# plate missing)

1972 140 as it has the old style ignition coil and carbs. The 1978 and newer use a smaller coil and WMK-29 carbs

bugzqld

Recruit

You're a Legend. Just did a quick search on 1972 140hp Merc and found it exactly. Thank you. Now i can order a carby kit and get to work

bugzqld

Recruit

Need a little more help please someone. I've been trying to look up a carby kit for my Merc but when i search by year on parts sites i can only find a 115hp engine max matching against the year.
Mine is a 140hp Merc which from previous responses is a 1972 model. Can anyone please help me figure out what i'm doing or if the parts from other engines/models are compatible.
I'm in Australia (down under) if anyone has found a local parts site that can help me. If not i'm happy to order from overseas as long as i get the right bits.

Again any help is appreciated :)