1996 Mercury 150, Alternator or Stator?

marioone

Cadet
First time boat owner trying to figure out how this boat is wired and wanted to know if the engines have an alternator or a Strator? Checked through numerous parts sites for that engine and didn't see any alternator, just a stator... Didn't even know about what a stator was.

:confused:

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: 1996 Mercury 150, Alternator or Stator?

If you provide your s/n, can get the online service manual for you.

Gerry

ohioriverat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Welcome to my nightmares, outboard electronics.. You have a stator with alternator built in probably and a regulator on the engine, also a trigger/timing base under the flywheel too,alternator should have 2 yellow wires coming from under the flywheel going to regulator,

SparkieBoat

Captain

the stator is an outboard form of an alternator, and you will also have a separate rectifier/regulator..great free guide in my sig below on how to test your electronics.

marioone

Cadet

Here's the S/N 0G407545. But based on the comments I guess the stator is the alternator. I've got a battery configuration that I'm trying to understand... I've created a diagram but It's not 100% complete since I see I'm missing the Stator.

I just bought the boat and I don't think it's setup properly/optimally... What do you think about the setup?Boat Wiring.jpg

SparkieBoat

Captain

only question I have is how is your solenoid wiring set up?? can not really tell from your diag. but if the hot wires were wrong your starter would spin constantly, so it must be ok.

marioone

Cadet

only question I have is how is your solenoid wiring set up?? can not really tell from your diag. but if the hot wires were wrong your starter would spin constantly, so it must be ok.

I was told that this solenoid is not the same one in the engines, this one is only used to parallel the batteries if I hit the emergency start button on the dash. I didn't know that till today :facepalm:. This solenoid is right next to the batteries. See the picture, yes I know it's pretty bad.

WP_000430.jpg

carholme

Rear Admiral

Your s/n comes up as a model:

1150425SD MERCURY 1996 150

Parts listing:

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/1678.cfm

Service Manual P/N: 90-824052R3

http://1manual.com/Mercury manuals/Service Manual PDFs/TwoStroke/824052r3/cover.pdf

You must have Adobe Acrobat reader installed to use this manual. If you scroll down to the lower part of the opening page, you will see the various engine components in red. Click on the one you want and when the first page opens, click on the "Save As" icon at the top LH corner of the page and you can save it to your computer.

Gerry

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

That is not a solenoid any longer, it is a chunk of rust. It looks to be a conventional solenoid, which is not designed for continuous useage.

I am not sure what you are trying to do, but there are lots of expereinced folks who can help, if you tell us your goals.

The stator/voltage regulator is equivalent to an alternator equipped with permanent magnets, rather than field coils. Your motor should have twin 20A VRs.

SparkieBoat

Captain

that is one nasty solenoid..LOL..I understand I think, it is only used to supply power from the other battery(s) in case your cranking battery goes dead. it is kind of an elaborate set up, but should work. but I would replace that solenoid.