checking throttle adjustment/ test tank

exnavyman123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I thought i had a vapor lock issue when taking boat out on a 100 degree day, before i put boat in the water i squezzed the primer bulb about 25 times on a mariner 115 and it never got firm ( should of raised a red flag i guess ) anyway, during driving, when i had the throttle at half speed or all the way forward it would go no faster than half speed.
It ran fine before this , and i was wondering if i could lower the motor in a deep plastic barrell i have to run it on trailer and move throttle all the way forward while seeing if the motor revs up accordingly safely. I know your not supposed to run more than idle with muffs but what about in the barrel in gear, is this a ok idea?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: checking throttle adjustment/ test tank

A 115 in a barrel at WOT will empty the barrel and wet the surrounding area in short order. If you intend to do this in neutral then you risk engine runaway. If you don't know what that is, imagine the engine has a mind of it's own and nothing you can do will shut it down. DO NOT RUN AN ENGINE WIDE OPEN IN NEUTRAL. Besides, it proves nothing. To see if the throttle is operating properly, remove the silencer, push the throttle full open and look into the carb throat. If the throttle plates are perfectly horizontal the throttle is properly adjusted. You DO NOT adjust the cable for this. Link and Sync (linkage/timing advance procedure) is what does that.