Exhaust in Driveshaft/water pump area

gtpony

Recruit
When replacing the entire water pump in my 1989 Mercury 150 XR4, I discovered that I had an exhaust residue on the driveshaft and in the water pump cavity. I am thinking that the exhaust plate gasket is blown. Does anyone have any experiene with this problem before I pull the powerhead?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Exhaust in Driveshaft/water pump area

That is not unusual. Normally there is a gasket in the gearcase, behind the waterpump that should prevent this (really just cuts it down). I am not sure I would worry about it.

gtpony

Recruit

Most of the exhaust residue was towards the top of the driveshaft area. Thats why I think it's the exhaust plate gasket under the powerhead.

79Merc80

Senior Chief Petty Officer

At least on the inline 6's, the exhaust is pushed out the same cavity as the drive shaft, so it makes total sence to have residue on the shaft

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

If its from the middle of driveshaft down to water pump, this is 100% normal. If it just on the upper 6 inches of driveshaft and is a heavy build up the tuner could be loose or fell off, you can tell as it will be in the bottom of exhaust can. You also could have the rubber seal around top of exhaust can leaking but this is no big deal and wont hurt anything. If it(seal) goes completely bad you may have a dull rattle at idle in gear.