1992 25 hp mercury electric start conversion help

arkansashunter

Seaman Apprentice
Hey,

I am trying to convert my 1992 pullstart merc to electric start using parts from a junk 1999 model.

To this point i have:

Swapped flywheels (the newer flywheel has the ring gear)
mounted the starter
Mounted the rectifier
Mounted the solenoid

As far as wiring goes i have:
wired up the two (red and yellow) wires to the solenoid and rectifier.
Wired the yellow wire from the solenoid to the starter and the red wire to the rectifier (to the same post as the tiller based red wire.

My Question is that i do no have the same wires coming from my stator. I have a black stator currently on the motor hince it just has the 2 wires that connect to the switchbox. All the diagrams i have are for the red stator and it has a yellow and grey set of wires that also connect to the rectifier and another set of wires that run to the solenoid.

are the additional wires strictly to charge my battery via the rectifier? I have the red stator but i have mechanical spark advance so i dont think that will go together.

Basically what do i need to do to make this right?

Thank you

arkansashunter

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1992 25 hp mercury electric start conversion help

does anybody know where i can see a diagram?

arkansashunter

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1992 25 hp mercury electric start conversion help

ok, i have solved that problem.

Now does anyone know where to mount a neutral safety switch on my motor? I can see where it goes on my 1999 25 merc but it has the electronic timing and a completly different pully system. Do they make a neutral safety switch for a 1992 mercury? i have the later model switch but like i said i cant really see how it could be mounted.

Thank you