Mercury 500 No Start??

64merm

Seaman Apprentice
I have a mercury 500 serial # 2119492. I recently ordered the harness going from the control box and installed it so i can try to start it. Well turns out that it doesnt want to start. I am not getting spark and possibly not getting fuel, after cranking a few times i pulled the plugs and they are wet but do not smell like fuel??? Does anyone have any ideas where to start trouble shooting, Im pretty new to mercs and not to sure how to diagnose these. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

bgc

Ensign
Re: Mercury 500 No Start??

Fortunately, like all engines, you only need three things to get it to fire, Fuel, Compression and Ignition. To get it to run well you will need some sacrificial chickens, a mushroom from the tip of Kilimanjaro, an eye of newt and a voodoo doll of your favorite mechanic.

To check the spark; pull plug, attach plug wire, hold threaded portion against engine block, crank motor, look for spark.

To check compression; You will need a compression gauge. This tool is available at most automotive parts stores. Remove all spark plugs, thread tool into each of the spark plug holes, crank motor and record maximum pressure reading.

To check for fuel; This gets to be a pain in the butt, Is there fresh fuel in the tank? Is the primer bulb pumped up? Do you know the condition of the carburetors? Are they gummed up? Remove the cover for the main jet, is there fuel in there?......... Whatever you do, DO NOT USE STARTING FLUID! There is no lubrication in this stuff and it?s too hot for an outboard.

Good luck and after you get it running, BBQ the chickens and have some friends over to celebrate your accomplishment.

64merm

Seaman Apprentice

well i pulled plugs and connected to my spark tester and dont have spark. I am going to check compression tomorrow. I have not pulled the carbs yet because i wanted to see if it would somehow start. Dont worry i didnt use any starting fluid. I have fresh gas, primer bulb is pumped. What should i look at in replacing for the no spark issue, i cant seem to find a good part number for the coil. If someone can find one please let me know. Also if someone knows a good part number for the fuel pump kit.

Thanks

bgc

Ensign

Disconnect the wire to the kill switch at the motor and the mercury tilt switch and check for spark. If there is still no spark check the timing belt and then open the distributor. www.oldmercs.com has the coils, points and condensers.