Problem on Power Trimming on Outboard - 1997 Mariner, 90HP, 2-Cycle

jimmyphan

Cadet
Hi All,

Yesterday I am working on my outboard. I was trimming my outboard up and down with no problem. All of a sudden, when I used the trim switch at the control box on located on the shift to trim my outboard UP it's won't come back down. However I hear the trim motor and/or the solenoid keep on clicking. It's make the silent noise when you trim UP or DOWN. As a result, I disconnect the battery. I figure that the trim switch is stuck on the upward direction so I opened this morning and remove the trim switch on the shift to free up and isolate the switch. After removing the switch on the shift, I reconnect the battery. I tight the Positive Terminal and as I touch the negative wire to the negative terminal, there is spark and I heard the trim motor and or solenoid keep clicking and make the same sound like when you trim up or down the outboard engine even though I do not press on the trim button. I am assuming that this is an electrical problem. Please help me out as to what I can do to resolve this issue. Thank you in advance!

Please note: A few day ago, I replace the battery with a higher CCA and MCA. Is this an issue as well? Assuming there is too much amperage. Please HELP!

Please note: Currently, the trim button on my Outboard itself won't energy either regardless of going UP or DOWN. Before this issue occur, it's really hard to trim the motor UP using the button on either locations (outboard or control box). I have to press/push it really hard to keep it going. What might be the problem here? Please HELP!

thank you so much in advance!

Jimmy P