1968 mercury 500

Bob1956

Recruit
I have a 1968 merc 500 50hp that i just acquired.....It has been sitting for about 6 years....It's not siezed and has lots of compression....but when I try to turn it over it really struggles.....I removed the plugs and she turns with no problems but with them back in...same story......it has a thunderbolt ignition.....any ideas as to where I should start...any help would be appreciated...thanks
Bob

bgc

Ensign
Re: 1968 mercury 500

Bob,
When you say struggles, are you saying the started turns over slowly?

I have a 1963 500 and the first thing I did was oiled (Seafoam) the pistons via the sparkplug holes and let it soak in for a week. Then replaced the following; Timing belt, impeller, condenser, fuel pump and carburetor gaskets, needle and seats, floats, fuel lines, sparkplugs, and lower gear oil. I also cleaned the points and adjusted them while I had it apart.
When tearing down the carburetors the manual comes in handy for information on clearing the passages.
I don?t know if your model has the grease fittings on the distributor, mine had two, but grease and oil everything.
When you go for startup run the oil mix heavy at first. Put it in the water or on muffs. Don?t put a load on it, don?t rev the engine, just start it and let it run. I did this for an hour and smoked out the entire neighborhood with a 24:1 ratio. Running it rich with a heavy amount of oil warming it slowly gives everything a chance to get lubricated and work out the 6 years of oxidation.

Bob1956

Recruit

thanks I'll give that a try......was hoping tojust get it running before I went any further....
Bob
ps... as for the struggling.......it just turn very very ,,,and I mean very slowly....going to check the battery for full charge.......but it is a new one so shouldnt have been an issue
then I'll check the cables

bgc

Ensign

At minimum oil pistons and check impeller. If it fires up and grinds the piston or overheats you now have a bigger project or scrap metal.

Bob1956

Recruit

already oiled then sat over night....so hoping for the best...again thanks........didnt cost me anything so not really out anything
thanks