carb adjustment

capnraysr

Cadet
Help, I think my 1981 Merc 150 is running a little rich. guy I bought the motor from says there is no way to adjust the carbs. It idles rough for a few minutes then dies. It will crank back up & run fine for about a minute then the rough idle starts again & dies. smokes quite a bit also. gonna try changing spark plugs to see if that helps. It sat for over a year before I bought it with fogging oil in the cylinders. Once it is running & moving it does great.

j_martin

Admiral
Re: carb adjustment

Yep,
WH carbs, the only adjustment is float height. Jet change for altitude.

They have very small idle circuit ports. Probably worth taking them off and putting in a gasket kit. (cleaning of course) They're only about 5 bucks each.

If you're waking a sleeper, would be good to put in a water pump impeller, fuel pump kit, carb kits, check the bleed hose condition, routing, and associated check valves. Then do a link-n-sync on it. Before you go nuts on it, check the compression to be sure you don't have a dud.

PO probably wouldn't recognize it. Runs too good.

Well tuned and oiled, this engine is almost bullet proof. It is so small and wild that a fuel, ignition, or cooling fault will burn it down before you can get it shut off. Maintenance is the key.