spark plug wires on my '89 80hp

jonny_neffs

Cadet
Hello,

I have an '89 80 hp 2 stoke 3 cylinder mercury that I bought last year. I have been slowly updating it and doing maitenance that I see fit. I am new to boating as of May of 2010. I have been around automotive/equipment repairing quite a bit so I can get around some minor repairs my self. My 80 hp runs good for the most part but occasionally it does not want to start - usually when hot outside and it has run a while and then sat while fishing. The other day I had a new problem where it would bog real bad and even stahl when getting cotrol above wake zone speed. It fixed itself from bogging - maybe bad fuel as I changed tanks and shortly after it ran normal again. It was very we out the other day so I thought maybe the spark plug wires were leaking causing a weak spark. I have read outboard spark plug wires do not break down like automotive style ones. The ones on my engine are probably original - I don't know the history but they look to be deteriating. I went to pull one out of the coil pack and saw gunk under the boot. I could not pull the wire out of the coil pack - are these part of the coil pack or can you change just the wires? I did not want to pull to hard and have to replace a coil pack if not necessary.

Thanks in adance for any information, this site is very helpful for a new to boating guy like me.

jonny

mrallen007

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: spark plug wires on my '89 80hp

It seems to me the plug wires go into the switch box assembly and plug in there much like they connect to the spark plug. Check out this link. It will take you to some diagrams of your motor. Click on the electrical components section and you'll see a better view of the sparkplug wiring harness.

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/365.cfm

There are four models listed for your year and HP rating, but it is likely this will be identical for all models. The wiring harness is not available through this site, but you can get the model number from the site (84-41592A4) and find a suitable replacement online. I'm sure google can help with that.