50 hp Mercury no power or acceleration

kdog93

Recruit
First, it's a 1998 Mercury 50 hp, does this have a carb or fuel injection? I have not had the top off, it's a summer boat in TN and I am in OH.
It is running very slow and has no pick up. I am heading down this wknd to check for water in the tank, adding some sea foam to the gas and intakes and checking the throttle cable for kinks or snags. Any other suggestions?

mrallen007

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 50 hp Mercury no power or acceleration

Not sure whether it's EFI or carb. For your sake I hope it's EFI. I had accelleration issues on mine. I found a few obvious problems. First, my fuel pump had grown weak and was not pumping fuel as it should. I bought a rebuild kit and have restored it. I also found a busted link between my throttle and carbs which I have since fixed. If you don't have a way to get it in your own shop, I'd look for those obvious things. Bring some spare plugs with you. Make sure your fuel filter is clean. Make sure none of the linkage has failed. Treating your gas is a good idea. You may look into a fuel water separator as well. They are pretty easy to install. Just a few thoughts...