Weird thing just hapened with 87 20 hp

yzchamp

Cadet
engine was running great, i was rechecking timing with a light at full rpm, seemed ok so i chopped the throttle down and engine died.... try to restarted and i was unsucessfull, i check the spark it was ok , fuel was good , it sounded like it wanted to start... , i took timing advance linkage off advanced timing all the way ( as it would of been full throttle) and it started... if i move linage back it dies. so it seems like timing jumped some how..??!?? is that possible?

was gonna go fishing tomorrow and now its not looking good..
any idea where to start? i was gonna take a fly wheel off but dont have a puller, any help would be apriciated..

yzchamp

Cadet
Re: Weird thing just hapened with 87 20 hp

got it figured out. made a puller, took a fly wheel of AND...... woodruff key was sheered off... :) fly wheel spun on the shaft just enough to make a timing out of wack (only about 10 degrees) that when i advanced timing with a linkage engine still started.......... 10 cent fix!:)

relocyo

Chief Petty Officer

Howd you make a puller?

ONERCBOATER

Chief Petty Officer

not sure how he made his.... I made mine out of angle iron or channel... mine flexes a bit.... then the flywheel pops off... sometimes it takes a bit... i tighten it down to where i think it is tensioned enough and just wait... 5 min... 30 sec.... 30 min... and ping off she comes.

Sean