Mercury 25 No Start w/Electric

mikemelfa

Cadet
Hi First time on this site I have read it a few times and seems very helpful.... I just purchased a New 2008n small 14 ' Monark aluminum boat with a 2007 25 4 stroke on it, I hated it it was quite, and No Fumes, and a gas saver but It was a dog. Using the power trim I was able to get this to only 18mph...very disappointing. I did not want to start the prop changing so I sold the motor to someone who had a 25 2 stroke it is a 1996, Did the conversion from 8 wires to ???whatever it was and installed on the boat...It ran great with no adjustments it ran at 26 Mph..I was very satisfied, now after using it a few days when I turn the key only a click is heard. The Battery is fully charged and hols a good charge. I am thinking the starter is NG ? not sure. I tried a second battery and ran the + lead to the + of the starter, and the - negative bolt on the starter and touched it to the negative of the Battery and NOTHING????? is't it supposed to spin ? Pull starts just fine. Runs great but sometimes at idle increases and decreases RPMs, alot of shaking of the motor when idling......once out of idle it smooths right out Thanks .... MM

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Mercury 25 No Start w/Electric

Yes it should have spun jumping it that way. Pull the starter and have your local auto electric shop check it for you. They should be able to rebuild it if needed.

mikemelfa

Cadet
Re: Mercury 25 No Start w/Electric

Thanks I will try and do that in the next day or so....