90 hp Merc clicks/knocks won't idle, any ideas?

hogleg62

Cadet
Hauled the boat to canada, used it the entire first day without problem. While coming back into the bay for the evening throttled it down and it died. Would start but only while giving it gas, won't idle and it's making a knock/clicking sound.

It's a 2000 90 hp Mercury. What do you think? I dropped it off at the local Merc guy last night and haven't heard anything yet.

Taking bets on new motor, pricey repair, reasonable repair? Thanks all, have a great week.

Chad

hogleg62

Cadet
Re: 90 hp Merc clicks/knocks won't idle, any ideas?

Ok, here's the scenario. Motor needs a new power head. Repair is estimated at $3,060.00. Basically it'll be a fresh motor. Said that the carb must have plugged up and the bottom cylinder had no compression and cylinder/piston was scored. Is this common, how in the world do you keep it from happening? The boat ran great right up until when it quit. No overheat alarm and performance was fine.

If money was no object, which is not the case, what would you folks with experience recommend? I hate to spend $3k to have a used motor that could still go bad, but the alternative is spending about $6K on a new motor.

Any thoughts?

mrallen007

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's a thought...

Look on craig's list for something used. I found a post here in Dallas yesterday for a 1992 16 foot Skeeter with a 90 HP motor. They guy is getting kicked out of his house and is selling the whole rig for $1900. That certainly comes in under the 3K mark your engine will cost. It may be a little bit of hassle to deal with titles and such, but based on the estimate you got, you can get used rigs for less, transfer the motor, and sell off the other boat. Depending on the deal you find you can come out way ahead that way. There are just too many such options out there to spend 3K on restoring a motor...

hogleg62

Cadet

I am considering that, my only hesitation is that I'll have another old boat motor that I know nothing about how it was cared for.

Is $3K a reasonable quote for replacing the powerhead, rebuilding the carbs, new water pump? If it is, I'm leaning that way.

Thanks for the input.

Chad

Here's a thought...

Look on craig's list for something used. I found a post here in Dallas yesterday for a 1992 16 foot Skeeter with a 90 HP motor. They guy is getting kicked out of his house and is selling the whole rig for $1900. That certainly comes in under the 3K mark your engine will cost. It may be a little bit of hassle to deal with titles and such, but based on the estimate you got, you can get used rigs for less, transfer the motor, and sell off the other boat. Depending on the deal you find you can come out way ahead that way. There are just too many such options out there to spend 3K on restoring a motor...

JPGBU1

Seaman Apprentice

soulds like a mechanical fail-maybe a blown ring. I would also look online for replacement power heads yourself, should be able to find one under 2K...

hogleg62

Cadet

I can find them around $1,700 to $2,000, just cant install them myself.

mrallen007

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am considering that, my only hesitation is that I'll have another old boat motor that I know nothing about how it was cared for.

An understandable concern. It was just something that came to mind since it could bring you in at a very low cost in the end. You would end up with a different motor with it's own concerns, but it might be worth it in the end for the money.

I'm not familiar enough with dealing with outboard mechanics to know whether 3K is reasonable for that sort of work. You might call around to other marinas or mechanics in the area for their opinion now that you have some more particulars on the problem. They may be willing to help especially if they are potentially competing for your business.