Wanting more power from a 99 175 Mariner

91gambler

Cadet
I have a 99 Mariner 175 that has had very little use, strong compression, very clean/corrosion free, and I would like to get more power out of it. It has a 1.84 / 1 ratio with a standard pick up. I am looking at a 1.175 / 1 with a low water pick up for it. I have been told that much of a power increase can be found in timing and reeds from my outboard buddies, but cannot find any literture on increasing horse power on the internet or in book form. Can somebody point me in the right direction of where to find such information. I am a do it myself person (I have seen other peoples work) and can do most if not all of the work myself, just need information to get me started.
Thank you and safe boating to all. John

Last edited:

j_martin

Admiral
Re: Wanting more power from a 99 175 Mariner

Just replacing reeds, for instance with fiberglass reeds, won't gain any power. It's done to improve idle, and sort of insurance so a broken reed can go through the engine without wrecking it.

If it has an "advance" module, you can gain a tad on the top by discarding it and retiming for about 23? WOT.

You can gain a few ponies, at the expense of needing higher octane fuel by cutting the heads. Depending on the engine, that can be simple to fairly intricate machining. You probably would need to re-jet the carbs after that.

After that it's in porting and breathing, and it can get both tricky and risky.

T-rex and others over on Scream and Fly like to chisel on em till they can spit rivets. Try there.

91gambler

Cadet

thanks j-martin and sry bout earlyer, i am new to this site

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

The only way to make it a 200hp is to tear it down and port it to 200 spec's and buy a set of 200 hp carb's. Reeds,timing and head cutting might get ya 5-10 hp, someone not knowing how to port properly will cost ya block............