Tilt nTrim Rebuild Transom Bracket stuck.V6 1988.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Ready to rebuild T&T unit,though cant get transom bracket to budge off tilt tube.Tilt tube nut removed and book says just
slide transom bracket off...lol.Ive hit this thing with Mt Everest and it wont budge....Any ideas please.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Tilt nTrim Rebuild Transom Bracket stuck.V6 1988.

Ive tried WD40 and still wont budge.Very frustrating.

Ibl0wstuffup

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Try some pb blaster or aero kroil. wd40 doesnt have a catalyst to dissolve corrosion.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks Iblow,ill see if we have that stuff in AUS.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Going to try and heat this thing up with blow torch,then belt it with a block of wood and sledge hammer.How hot should I get this thing.

ThumbPkr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had to remove a transom bracket on my 650 to intall power trim........let me say that the bracket was broken on the bottom where the transom bolt goes through it and needed to be changed and I took the opportunity to install the tilt stop strap etc while it was apart.
I had already purchased a replacement bracket for it.
Back to the story.........I was out of acetylene and ended up cutting the bracket off with a sawzall.In retrospect I think that I saved myself a lot of time and aggravation by doing it that way.
I had a sissors jack between the transom clamps,plenty of penatrating oil,a block of wood and a three pound hammer.It would not budge.
If I had to do it again on my old engine I would do the same thing.Good luck with it.Ron G

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I don't think cutting it off is an option,unless you have a spare transom bracket you can send me.Just bought a propylene blow torch and sledge hammer.Hopefully that will work.
Any better ideas are welcome.

ThumbPkr

Petty Officer 1st Class

As I said in my reply,I had purchased one some time ago because I needed to replace one anyway.I am not sure what I would have done if I didn't already have a spare.
I can say now that I did it that I would be looking for another transom clamp if I had it to do over again.Good luck with it and let us know how it went.Ron G

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Still stuck with this bracket.Got a mapp/propylene torch to heat up bracket at tilt tube end.Any one know how long I should heat it up before I start bashing with hammer?
Getting desperate.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Still stuck.Another W/E out of the water.I'll give it one more go,then might try port bracket instead.last option will be lift motor off T and T pump.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm wondering if it's safe to take off the Port bracket instead.Slim chance it may not be seized on as bad as the other one.

ThumbPkr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would save myself some time and start looking for another transom clamp.They can't be that hard to find.It doesn't take long to saw it off with a sawzall.
If I had not just been through this I would not be harping about it but if I had to take the original clamp off the other side I would just cut it no questions asked.
The replacement has neverseize on it so it should be ok for many more years.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Finally got the &$&$@(@$ thing off.It took some heavier blows with the hammer and more heat and it eventually broke free.I found hitting in many different directions work.It's true what they say about frozen joints(not threads)they take a lot of patients.Took me around 6 hours over a week to win this fight.I used that loctite FREEZE OFF penetrant spray,don't know if it made any difference,think the heat and bashing was the trick.

ThumbPkr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice going,I am sure that you worked for it.Ron G