mercury 1995 115 not kicking into secondary 2 cylinders

JPGBU1

Seaman Apprentice
ok. bought a merc 2+2 115 95. Engine was sitting for 3 years. Put it in the water and ran fine, just a bit of hesitation when hitting the second 2 cylinders. Then the boat sat for 1 week. I trailered it 20 miles and but back in the water and I had no power past 2K RPM. I pulled the carb's and cleaned them spit shine. I replaced some oil and fuel lines. I pulled the accelerator pump and cleaned and it seemed to be pumping fuel fine. I cleaned the fuel filter on that feed to the injectors. I pulled the two injectors on the bottom two cylinders cleaned, tested, and put back together. all coil packs are fine and it has new plugs.

STILL NO POWER PAST 2K RPM~!!! could the accel pump even though pumping fuel be bad? it is adjusted correctly. idles like a dream runs fine on lower RPM and just has nothing at the 1800 RPM mark. oh and the compression reads 120 accross the board. could it be electrical? Trigger? stator? switchbox? any help would be appreciated if you have seen this before...

bfan781

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: mercury 1995 115 not kicking into secondary 2 cylinders

I had the same issue and I fixed but now I am having another issue. same motor but a little newer. If you have to in idle forward gear and take a screw driver and push down the lever on top of the accelorator pump youshould hear the too cilynders kick in and the engine rev for a second. There is also another fuel filter behind the oil tank that serves that pump.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

Do the dormant cylinders have spark? are the plugs fouled?

JPGBU1

Seaman Apprentice

when I push the accelerator pump I get nothing, and I did clean the filter under the oil tank. it is spotless. Should the dormant cylinders have spark when not under power? I have not checked while the engine is running. do they have spark at lower RPM? or is there some sort of electrical switch that turns them on past 1800 RPPM?

JPGBU1

Seaman Apprentice

Anyone have any Ideas? I am really stumped. and if I need a new switch $$$ where would be a good place to purchase cheap?

The_Kid

Chief Petty Officer

when I push the accelerator pump I get nothing, and I did clean the filter under the oil tank. it is spotless. Should the dormant cylinders have spark when not under power? I have not checked while the engine is running. do they have spark at lower RPM? or is there some sort of electrical switch that turns them on past 1800 RPPM?

All four should have spark at idle so that's the first thing to check. From the factory service manual: "TROUBLESHOOTING TIPS: 4 CYLINDER MODELS ?
Intermittent, weak, or no spark output at two spark plugs usually indicates a bad TRIGGER.

If you've got spark then you still have a fuel problem. My 95 115 Mariner had the same problem. When mine would bog at 1800 rpm I found that if I pushed the key in to energize the fuel primer/choke my RPMs would kick up because additional fuel is supplied to all 4 cylinders which told me I didn't have an electrical problem.

I did the shotgun approach to fix mine. Replaced both fuel filters, rebuilt the fuel pump and carburetors. When you cleaned the carbs, did you dunk them, or just use a spray can of carb cleaner? Did you run a wire through the high speed jet which is under the bowl drain plug? My jets were blocked between the bowl drain plug and the jet its self, even though I dunked them for 24 hours.

If it turns out you need a switch box the best price I found was at boatfix.com

JPGBU1

Seaman Apprentice

I know the fuel system is good, I did clear all jets, I didn't need to soak as there was no Varnish in the carbs at all. they actually seem like new! Once I checked it, it turned out to be no spark on the bottom 2 cylinders. I checked the trigger and it was good. I ended up checking the output voltage of the switchbox and low and behold it was low. I ordered from marineparts.com as it was $10 more than boatfix.com but would be here next day with ground shipping from their CT warehouse. I swapped it out in about 20 minutes and she powered right up like new!!! :cool: I figured it was going to be the more expensive part, but at least I got a freshly cleaned fuel system out of it!

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

The 2 + 2 series always has spark, the lower cyls do not have idle circuits to receive enough fuel to fire at low RPM.

The stator has both high and low speed windings to generate electricity for the ignition to fire, a weak high speed winding will limit RPM as you are experiencing.

DO NOT ASSUMME that the stator is bad and order one without PROVING it with a DVA test as there is NO RETURN on electrical parts and it isn't cheap.

Download the Ignition Troubleshooting Guide from the Support pages of CDIElectronics.com

Follow the detailed directions to test your ignition system to prove what is wrong, then order only what you need.