mariner 60hp 3cyl

dudderidge

Cadet
having problems trying to start engine it starts when i put fuel in the carbs but found out when i ajused the fuel mixture screw the bottom carb made no difrance the carbs are good as they come of working engine could this be the reed valve as i dont think it sucking a lot of fuel in to the carb thanks

M

Maxz695

Re: mariner 60hp 3cyl

you probably have gunk in the carb take them apart and clean them out. If it starts when you put gas in the carb then i doubt the reeds have anything to do with it. Check you lines they decinigrate in time due to Ethenol. and the inner line material clogs up the jets

hotrod53

Chief Petty Officer

Maybe your needle is stuck shut and not letting fuel into the bowl. I would remove the carbs and in the process see if there is fuel in the bowl. When you pump your fuel line ball, fuel fills the carb bowl until the float rises to shut off the flow, that is why your ball gets hard. If the needle is stuck, fuel is not allowed to enter the bowl and would act as you describe. I had this happen 3 times this year, the Ethanol swells the rubber tip on the needle valve and it gets stuck in the seat. I have been running my motor out of fuel or close to it after every run. Once that needle is stuck, there is no way to unstick it other then removing the carb and plucking it out with needle nosed pliers. The needle just sits on the tab of the float, working the float in order to free the needle doesn't work.

dudderidge

Cadet

Maybe your needle is stuck shut and not letting fuel into the bowl. I would remove the carbs and in the process see if there is fuel in the bowl. When you pump your fuel line ball, fuel fills the carb bowl until the float rises to shut off the flow, that is why your ball gets hard. If the needle is stuck, fuel is not allowed to enter the bowl and would act as you describe. I had this happen 3 times this year, the Ethanol swells the rubber tip on the needle valve and it gets stuck in the seat. I have been running my motor out of fuel or close to it after every run. Once that needle is stuck, there is no way to unstick it other then removing the carb and plucking it out with needle nosed pliers. The needle just sits on the tab of the float, working the float in order to free the needle doesn't work.

the fuel is going in the carb it looks like there is not eng air sucking the fuel in to the cylinders these carbs are good

dudderidge

Cadet

the fuel is going in to the carb it looks like there is not eng air sucking the fuel into the cylinders these carbs are good they come off working engine

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The carbs may be good, but if they are dirty then it doesn't matter what you do with them. If you had a bad reed valve the gas would be pouring out of the front of the carb.