looking for reed valves merc 115 hp

kfouryou

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi guys kind of new here , My question I have a chance to pick up a 115 merc I think it might be an early eighties (has dark and light thick grey strips with a thin red strip)Unfortunately it needs reed valves .Does any one know where I might find some and how much they may cost .Thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: looking for reed valves merc 115 hp

What makes you say it needs reeds, K4U??

Humor me. I have this obsession with preventing members from fixing stuff that ain't broke.

CVX20SPRINT

Petty Officer 1st Class

What makes you say it needs reeds, K4U??

Humor me. I have this obsession with preventing members from fixing stuff that ain't broke.

Yeah I bought a 73 1500 Merc a couple of years ago that the guy said needed reeds.After doing some reading and talking to a few people I found out that while they do go they don't go that often.I started from scratch and went through the carbs,dist., and then did a Lync and Sync.Been using it for a couple of years now with supposedly shot reeds.If it's not shooting a lot fuel out of the carbs while running, reeds probably not your problem.

kfouryou

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The seller told me she took it to the marina on thats what they told her .She told me she could not find any and then found someone but they wanted $450 to make them.Hey fatwing where abouts are you located?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well, too many marinas have an obsession with getting customers to pay for fixing something, broke or not.:(

j_martin

Admiral

K4U
Now we know that you need help, and apparently so does the marina.

Screw the marina, why don't you start at the beginning with symptoms you see, and ask us to help?

Gomer50

Chief Petty Officer

Hey guy's have we heard this one ever before?? Nah!!!!
To the best of my knowledge Reeds seldom are the problem but it sure seems like the mechanic wants to change them $$$$$$$$$$$$$$................

kfouryou

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This motor is one I'm interested in.Haven't actually seen it yet but I just wanted to know ahead of time for negotiation purposes .Thanks for all the comments thus far

j_martin

Admiral

Take a compression tester with you. If it has compression and doesn't knock, anything else is relatively easy.