How to remove Upper Crankshaft Bearing on Mercury 75 (Around 1993 model)

RobF1970

Cadet
Guys,
Question... Is the upper crankshaft bearing a slip-fit bearing or a pressed on bearing?? The bearing seized and i need to remove it for replacement. If it is a slip-fit, any advice on how to remove it without damaging the crank??

M

Maxz695

Re: How to remove Upper Crankshaft Bearing on Mercury 75 (Around 1993 model)

Not sure about a 75 HP but my 40 2 cyl I changed View attachment 107706View attachment 107707 The bearing is pressed into the upper retainer. I wasn,t sure how hard it was to get it out, so I bought it to the marina and they froze it and removed it and replaced it with a new bearing I had got off of ebay. Be careful you may have to loosen the intake to get enough clearance to get the new O ring past the corner edge of the block without nicking it. Also it will have to be loosened to get the retainer out anyway without a major struggle and possibly messing up the retainer. View attachment 107708View attachment 107709 I put a picture of my lower end cap as well to help you see whats there. the lower bearing and retainer where on the end of the crankshaft and was not to hard to smack off the shaft and replace the bearing there as well. All new seals I put in while i was there anyway. The lower end cap had double seals.View attachment 107710 Keep in mind if you have 4 cylinders the shaft will be longer. If it,s a 2 stroke it will have double reed cages. There is no need to remove the crank shaft or connecting rod bearings as well as the reed cage unless you plan to do the bottom bearing as well. Yes the upper bearing will slip right off the crank shaft after the retainer is unblolts and the intake is separated from the block. Once the intake seal has been broken it would be a good idea to reseal it with new seals and on some engines they recommend locktight all the way around the contact surface. Check your manual if this is required on your engine

RobF1970

Cadet

Nah, mine is not in a retainer. But, I did get the bearing off with a set of pullers. Now I'm trying to figure out why that bearing failed me. Other bearings seem to be fine.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

If the bearing locked and spun and crankshaft and crankshaft surface is damaged, replace the crank. These usually fail due to lack of oil from bleed system(split/leaking bleed line).