mid '70's thunderbolt tach connection question

monk-monk

Chief Petty Officer
Im trying to solve my thunderbolt tach problems on my '78 1400...the tach im trying to use on my 1400 works fine on my '72 1150, but when i connect it to my '78 1400 it draws the tach needle backwards and it flutters wildly...the ignition set-up on these two engines is exactly the same, but the tach won't work correctly on the 1400...NOW, on my '72 1150 i plug the tach into my mercontrol and the brown signal wire from the mercontrol is attached to the brown post on the switchbox at the engine...tach works fine....NOW i know that in the later years mercury moved the brown wire off of the switchbox and connected it to one of the yellow wires at the rectifier...HERE's my question: if you connect to the yellow stator wire, you are receiving AC voltage, if you connect to the brown post at the switchbox you are receiving DC voltage to the tach...i have read posts here on iboats that directed you to remove the brown signal wire from the switchbox and connect it to the yellow stator wire...that doesn't make sense to me because then you are changing from DC voltage to AC voltage...i don't get it...!!

dlplost

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: mid '70's thunderbolt tach connection question

So... move the wire from the rectifier to the switch box. The tach is the only thing on the other end of that wire.
It all depends on what signal the TACH is looking for. Some older tach's looked for pulsed DC, most newer ones look for AC pulses.
Most instructions to move the other way are for replacement tach's that have a switch on the back to select how many pulses per revolution of the motor, they are intended to read from the stator.

monk-monk

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks dlplost...i figured as much, funny how asking a question, one finds his own answer...i have a new rectifier on there now and i hooked the tach to the rectifier wire...THAT'S not where i should have been terminating this particular tach...im going to connect the tach back to the brown post at the switchbox and see what happens...but im still not sure how i have lost 2 rectifiers previous to the one on there now....i'll figure it out, thanks for the help...

dlplost

Petty Officer 2nd Class

all it takes to kill a rectifier is a momentary OOPS when connecting a battery. Reverse the + and - at the battery will kill the rectifier almost instantaniusly, only takes a second and it's fried.