Starting a 2001 Mercury 50hp 4 stroke

tomtnwlkrs

Seaman
I just bought a 2001 50hp mercury 4 stroke off a guy that repowered his pontoon. Heres my question, I am trying to start on a stand so I can see what it needs before either selling or putting on a boat. I have it hooked up to a battery and the wiring harness hooked up. The trim on the motor works off of the switch on the side of the motor, but, I am not getting any fire to the motor. I ordered a manual for the wiring diagram but that probably wont be of any help. I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I don't hear the choke or any thing firing. the Serial number is
OT232395.

M

Maxz695

Re: Starting a 2001 Mercury 50hp 4 stroke

Try disconnecting the harness and turning it over by jumping the soleniod or rope puller. This will eliminate any outside culprits and make diagnostics much easier if need be at that point. You may get spark at that point if not test the stator. Check all wiring for fraying grounding etc.

tomtnwlkrs

Seaman
Re: Starting a 2001 Mercury 50hp 4 stroke

There was a yellow wire with a red stripe that I figured out was supposed to be tied together. Now this motor had been laying down on a pallet since 2008 so I had put it up on a stand and filled the cylinders with marvel mystry(spelling) oil and let sit for a day and then turned over with the plugs out. After hooking up and pumping with gas the engine busted off the first crank. Finally some good luck. However, when I went to shut the engine off it wouldn't die. Any suggestions?
Thanks,