Mercury 18 xd steering wheel plus throttle and shift controls

anton bugeja

Recruit
I have a Mercury 18 hp outboard, I want to install a steering wheel plus throttle and shift controls and remove the tiller handle. I need info on what parts(ie part numbers) that I will need to do this conversion. Thanks The model # of the motor is 18 XD and serial is SN 9411737 (Made in Belgium)

M

Maxz695

Re: Mercury 18 xd steering wheel plus throttle and shift controls

It will get very expensive. I don,t even know if you can do this to an 18 HP but if possible you better off finding another engine with all the parts already on it and convert it from there. There are many part to make the throttle cables attach to the block and the linkage to the carbs. Then you need throttle cables steering cable steering box steering wheel. adapters for the engine to accomedate the steering cable steering linkage to the motor steering arm or the motor if the midsection does not have acomidations for the steering arm you,ll need a midsection for that attachment need I go on?

M

Maxz695

OK electric stater stater brackets starter solenoid. electric choke (May no be necesary you,ll have to get off you but to choke it. Lets see how much have you spent so far? Save your money

M

Maxz695

Ok maybe i jumped a bit with the electric starter stuff you can leave it pull start and choke. you will need the engine componants for the shift cables if you can find them. I,ll make you and offer you cant refuse. I have a steering linkage NEW from engine to steering cable I,ll let you have real cheap to get you started if you intend to do this. message me and I,ll list it on ebay for $5 and 3 shipping. It comes with hardware still in the package. Good luck

anton bugeja

Recruit

Ok maybe i jumped a bit with the electric starter stuff you can leave it pull start and choke. you will need the engine componants for the shift cables if you can find them. I,ll make you and offer you cant refuse. I have a steering linkage NEW from engine to steering cable I,ll let you have real cheap to get you started if you intend to do this. message me and I,ll list it on ebay for $5 and 3 shipping. It comes with hardware still in the package. Good luck

Hi First of all thanks for your help but
As I am not well confident with marine outboards I will tell you what I have.
I have the steering box and the steering cable from consol to the outboard
I have the trottle control and cables to the outboard

So I think I need the attachement from the engine to the trottle cables & the attachment from the steering cable to the outboard.
Am I Right ? so please can you send me a picture of your attachment if its useful for me, you can send it on my email address anton.bugeja@gmail.com

anton bugeja

Recruit

Hi First of all thanks for your help but
As I am not well confident with marine outboards I will tell you what I have.
I have the steering box and the steering cable from consol to the outboard
I have the trottle control and cables to the outboard

So I think I need the attachement from the engine to the trottle cables & the attachment from the steering cable to the outboard.
Am I Right ? so please can you send me a picture of your attachment if its useful for me, you can send it on my email address anton.bugeja@gmail.com

anton bugeja

Recruit

No I dont think so I think its totaly different.
Where can I check about the other parts ?

M

Maxz695

I posted pictures but after feeling the weight shipping would be a bit more. You can check the manual for the engine to see if there is such a setup for this engine if so find the numbers for the parts and search for used parts. They have a sticky note at the begining of this section of the forum that has used parts dealers there