cold water coming from telltale

cbelk

Cadet
I have a 96 75hp 3cyl merc #0g395022 the water stream coming out is steady and has a decent flow, the pee stream starts almost as soon as the engine starts, I have replaced the thermostat also and I dont know if its related to this but at an idle the motor seems to run rough as hell but allways starts and runs out as smooth as glass. Why would the water be this cold even after running for awhile. Thanks for any help.

M

Maxz695

Re: cold water coming from telltale

Cold is always better than hot. Most engines that pee well do not get that hot but barely luke warm. Rough idle can be bad or dirty valve reeds or dirty jets. Bad air mixture on carb setting. Dirty plugs. Over mixture in gas. Just a few thoughts

cbelk

Cadet

Thanks for the input I did just rebuild the carbs and like an idiot I set all to factory and left them without readjusting adjusting farther. The cold water still concerns me I,ve never had an outboard that ran this cool.
Thanks again

emckelvy

Commander

The temperature of the telltale doesn't necessarily tell you the operating temp of the block. Some telltales come off the inlet side of the water supply and don't circulate thru the block. I don't recall if yours is like that, what you should be concerned about is operating temperature of the block. The block should get warm to the touch but not uncomfortably so. The exhaust manifold should never be as warm as the block and may even be cool at idle. I'd expect that after a full-power run the exhaust will be warmer but if it ever gets so hot you can't put your hand on it, that's way too hot!

If the block is indeed running too cool, you might want to check the poppet valve, which could be stuck open and allowing water to bypass the 'stat all the time.

This diagram should give you a good idea of how it all goes together:

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/M...USA-S-N-0G127500-BEL-9836633 & UP)/parts.html

HTH..........ed