mercury 80 hp reverse locks

sti1471

Petty Officer 1st Class
My boat has an 80HP mercury blue stripe motor mounted on it. I can see the hooks on the back side of the motor, and I have the pin inserted into the correct place. When I lower the engine, the hooks go over the pin, but will not lock. When on the water I shift into reverse and the motor comes out of the water and is not locking down.

Neat the hooks there is a rod that goes into the lower unit, and when i wiggle the rod, it wiggles quite a bit. Should this rod be solid, or have movement to it?

M

Maxz695

Re: mercury 80 hp reverse locks

you probably damaged the reverse cam lock. you would have to remove the LU to inspect it. It is made of a composite material and can crack easily

emckelvy

Commander

Be sure the lockout hooks are free to move, if they are stuck you can soak them with a penetrant and then work the hooks loose. An application of heat from a propane or MAPP torch to the pivot points will release a badly stuck lock. Use appropriate precautions for flamage around the outboard!

One thing to remember about the lockout mechanism is that it's supposed to lock in both Neutral and Reverse. You must have the gearshift in Fwd when lowering the motor onto the tilt pin, otherwise you get the results you're describing, where the lockout hooks sit on top of the pin, interfering with shifting and not properly locking down for reverse ops.

A newer-style metal shift lockout cam is available to replace the older plastic cams which do wear out. If you do pull the lower unit for inspection of the cam, be sure to note the orientation of the shift shaft, and the cam's position on the shift shaft. Make sure the new cam goes on the same way and also that you don't change the position of the shift shaft while you're working on the lower unit. That way it'll all go back together and shift correctly when you're done.

HTH & let us know what you find...........ed

M

Maxz695

Be sure the lockout hooks are free to move, if they are stuck you can soak them with a penetrant and then work the hooks loose. An application of heat from a propane or MAPP torch to the pivot points will release a badly stuck lock. Use appropriate precautions for flamage around the outboard!

One thing to remember about the lockout mechanism is that it's supposed to lock in both Neutral and Reverse. You must have the gearshift in Fwd when lowering the motor onto the tilt pin, otherwise you get the results you're describing, where the lockout hooks sit on top of the pin, interfering with shifting and not properly locking down for reverse ops.

A newer-style metal shift lockout cam is available to replace the older plastic cams which do wear out. If you do pull the lower unit for inspection of the cam, be sure to note the orientation of the shift shaft, and the cam's position on the shift shaft. Make sure the new cam goes on the same way and also that you don't change the position of the shift shaft while you're working on the lower unit. That way it'll all go back together and shift correctly when you're done.

HTH & let us know what you find...........ed
The Cam lock in mid lobe locks in Neutral? is that an 80 HP only thing? Mine never locks in neutral as I have to manually lift the engine for trailering in Neutral. Think you might want to re check that

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The lock is supposed to be engaged in reverse and neutral. It is adjustable, and it sounds like yours is out of adjustment or the spring is bad, or the hook rusted into the bracket.