water jacket pitting, is the part still usable?/ pics

dirty d

Cadet
Water into cylinders killing spark. Pulled the exhaust baffle, and the water jacket, cleaned them to medium clean. The gasket was chewed up in places, and there was a big "cocoon" "rats nest" clogging up a spot in the water channel, (water still got through), then all this pitting on the one side while the other side is ok. Can I still use the part?

Attachments

• IMAG0036.jpg
    IMAG0036.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0037.jpg
    IMAG0037.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0038.jpg
    IMAG0038.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 0
M

Maxz695

Re: water jacket pitting, is the part still usable?/ pics

If the part has not worn totally through it is usable but. It is also repairable! Take a wire wheel on a drill and clean the intire pitted section only. This would be the side that comes into contact with water for cooling. NOTE* This is a very expensive part to replace. I had a corroded exhaust port baffle right through where water was getting into my exhaust port to the cylinder. After cleaning and roughing the area. I used PB weld over the effected area and when dry and set hard. could be up to 48 hr.s or more I filed and sanded the Repaired area to the original state. You can re drill the holes if nessecary as well. I havn,t had a problem with it scince. Not only that but the PB weld is salt water resistant and will outlast the aluminum itself. Good luck. PS Reinstaling this part as is will allow water into your cylinders and reek havoke on your internal parts. Do Not reinstal this as is

M

Maxz695

Oops it already corroded through still the reply conforms to your situation

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Dirty, Most of the time if it is corroded thru in one spot, other spots are sure to follow pretty soon. I recommend you replace it, if it is close to rotted thru. I couldn't tell it's condition from the picture, BTW. Check the inner water jacket cover (the one still on the block). It has a lot of nooks and crannies which are succeptable to corrosion. I have repaired the inner water jacket cover, but never really used the motor afterward. But I was always afraid that the metal holding the repair material (Marine-Tex) would rot out and the repair would fail.