1979, 9.8 mercury cooling problem

agwa

Recruit
hi, im new to the forum and have been reading alot of good imfo on here about some cooling problems. i have very little water out of the telltale peehole., changed the water pump impeller and the same thing. , talk to a locall shop and he said to check the sleeve at the top of the discharge pipe going into the power head. if it looked good then the power head is no good. it has worn threw on the inside. id like to get some imput on this before i decide to scrape the motor.

Jake.

Seaman
Re: 1979, 9.8 mercury cooling problem

Very little water at low rpm only? If so, that can be normal. When you state the sleeve was worn through, what do you mean? I'm having a hard time envisioning it. Do you have any pictures?

M

Maxz695

Did you buy an OEM Impeller? Did you check the cup for it in the upper water pump housing for scrapes or other damage. The engine may have restricted ports due to a previously blown impeller lodged in them which a dismantle can easily fix. No major work is needed just a full gasket set for the head. Inspect all areas of the engine very closely before rebuilding

agwa

Recruit

Very little water at low rpm only? If so, that can be normal. When you state the sleeve was worn through, what do you mean? I'm having a hard time envisioning it. Do you have any pictures?

the guy at the shop, said the powerhead has worn threw somewhere, i havnt read in any post about water wearing threw on a powerhead and causing a cooling problem. i was wondering if anyone else has heard of this. im going to start from point A which is the water pump and go threw it again. thanks for the replys

agwa

Recruit

Did you buy an OEM Impeller? Did you check the cup for it in the upper water pump housing for scrapes or other damage. The engine may have restricted ports due to a previously blown impeller lodged in them which a dismantle can easily fix. No major work is needed just a full gasket set for the head. Inspect all areas of the engine very closely before rebuilding

its a oem, thanks for the advice, im going to go threw the hole unit again

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer

Make sure you check the rubber parts at the ends of the tube leading into the pump.

Tom B.
(LongLine)

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

when you pull the water tube out of the mid section look at that seal and when you put it back make sure it goes into the receving hole its sort of hidden it the top section it can go in but not be in the right place , i just recently went through this , i am going through a 9.9 atm

agwa

Recruit

think i might have found the problem, the seal at the top of the w pump is a little loose not sealing around the drive shaft. wheres a good place to get parts for this out board ?

Last edited: