1967 mercury 110 help

lamenytro

Recruit
hey, i got my '67 merc outboard started after 8+ years of siting, i replaced the gear oil in the leg and got it to run, but not for a long time, is there any pointers that someone can give me to get the motor to idle? and also i didnt see the motor "peeing" at all and i heard that some "pee" under the water is that true? o and when i ran the motor i had it in forward and full throtle and it didnt burn out the motor, i thought if it had no water it burns out really fast.... i am a real novice when it comes to outboard engines so any advise or help would be greatly appreciated!

thank you in advance

bgc

Ensign
Re: 1967 mercury 110 help

Did you have it in the water when you did this?

lamenytro

Recruit

ya i had it in a bucket of water that covered up to about half of the leg

bgc

Ensign

First, get a manual, you can get PDF?s and reprints on line. Then get a fuel pump and carburetor rebuild kit, new spark plugs and an impeller kit.
The fuel pump is on the side of the carburetor. Soak the carb and pump, clean every part, orifice and passageway.
When you install the impeller kit put some bearing grease on the splines of the shifter and drive shaft. This will help them go together and keep them from rusting together. Go slow when reassembling; it?s a trick to get the pipe in the top of the pump and the shafts to slide in. Don?t force it.

I would mix the first gallon of fuel at 24:1 and don?t rev the engine, nothing good can come of that.

peteskaos

Recruit

Hi when I got my old johnson to run after it had sat in the garage for 8-9 yrs I used ear muffs and the garden water hose to force water through the water intake to the impellor to free it up as it was stuck it worked and still runs 1yr later and the same motor wouldn't idle without the choke almost full on and when giving it some throttle it would slowly de-rev I found there was a brittle lacquer type substance blocking the carby I used brake cleaner I was very careful and put it back together It cost me nothing but time (dont use gasket goo on the carby)