mercury 60hp advice

big ken

Petty Officer 1st Class
hi i just got a mercury 60hp outboard[1987] from a buddy, he said it had no ignition. i took the hood off to fin d it han a few freyed wires coming off of the stator. fixed them and when i jump the starter i have fire, infact it tried to start with carb cleaner in cylinders. i did a compression check and it had 125 in all three cylinders. it is a remote outboard. i have throttle and shift linkage. i have no harness that plugs into the motor. question is how can i make a tempory switch to shut engine down when it does run? thankss ken

M

Maxz695

Re: mercury 60hp advice

Better just to choke it to shut it down But you can hook a kill switch to the switchbox. Find the tilt kill switch on the motor follow that wire to the switchbox hook a wire from there to a switch then from the switch to a ground. Most Tilt kill switches I know of are blue It shuts the engine down when the engine is tilted

big ken

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks. i will check out to see if i can locate.

big ken

Petty Officer 1st Class

no luck finding that switch. i tried unhooking a wire at a time in different spots then cranking it only to still have spark, need to figure out how to ground out coils. did find a manual choke though.

M

Maxz695

I,m not sure grounding the coil is a good idea it could mess up your switchbox that would be very bad let me see if i can go get a picture if the tilt switch for you

big ken

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks!!! i will go out this afternoon after work to try to find it. hard to tell by pic, where am i looking[what part of engine] thanks ken

M

Maxz695

This is not the same engine as yours it,s a 40HP 2 cylinder but from what I know all Mercury outboard have this type of switch somewhere on it. I,m not familiar with you wiring colors But My Kill wire on the switch box is a salmon colored wire. This is also where the wire leads to the Mercury kill switch, It should be located somewhere behind the throttle lever where the cables attach. One more thing NEVER USE STARTING FLUID!!! You will dry up the engine companants and do severe damage. Use a spay bottle with 50:1 oil gas mixture

big ken

Petty Officer 1st Class

i cant find anything that looks like that, tilted it up ,down, around etc lol.

ClintH

Recruit

I have done the same thing on my '89. It is the black wire with yellow tracer. Put a switch between it and the negative battery terminal.

big ken

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks clint. where would i look for this wire? i dont think this motor has a tilt kill switch. cnt find one anwhere. turns out it is an 1985 thanks ken