Timeing issue with V-6 Merc

oldseaox

Seaman Apprentice
Engine is V-6 2.5 liter with carbs. Issue is trigger link. Maintanence area of my book shows 11/16 between face of lock-nut and forward edge of link arm. Ignition area shows 11/16 between face of lock-nut and center line of link arm at bend. This is a difference of approximately 3/32, which is right?

j_martin

Admiral
Re: Timeing issue with V-6 Merc

Whichever works, probably either. Merc manual illustration is too crude to tell. If you get the full range of adjustment in the linkage and timing adjustment procedure, it's good to go. Seems to be plenty of adjustment elsewhere to compensate.

oldseaox

Seaman Apprentice

The info came from Seloc which is also a challange to understand sometimes. I noticed the problem when checking the timeing, trying to make sure all was well. The mech had installed a trigger and the measurement was 1/2", when changed to approx 11/16" the engine runs much cleaner and answers the throttle quicker, just like to have adjustments as they should be. Thanks for the reply.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

the measurement was 1/2", when changed to approx 11/16" the engine runs much cleaner and answers the throttle quicker,
These are just settings for correct throw of the turning of the timer base,it has nothing to do with adjusting the timing. You adjust the timing with a timing light not this linkage. If you have adjusted it and not checked the primary timing you likely find the primary timing up around 8-10?.

Sprky

Petty Officer 1st Class

These are just settings for correct throw of the turning of the timer base,it has nothing to do with adjusting the timing. You adjust the timing with a timing light not this linkage. If you have adjusted it and not checked the primary timing you likely find the primary timing up around 8-10?.

+1..... We start at 10 after and then shut the engine down and let it set for 15 min. We then adjust low speed until it will restart without issue. Seen some at 10 (usually tight motors). Seen some at 2 (worn out motors). Give it what it wants.

oldseaox

Seaman Apprentice

Sounds like I need to go through the whole timeing procedure. The engine starts well now but has an idle problem that started this whole thing. Idles well cold but after running 30 mins or so I can cut back to idle in gear and it will die after 3 or 4 mins, out of gear it will idle for 10 mins or so. Comps good and fuel pumps good and carbs are clean, trigger had a blip so tried it. Mech had a known good trigger I tried free so I figured, why not?