1998 Mariner Optimax won't run at high rpm's

SMSovis

Recruit
Hello,

I am new to the site and want to get any input you guys may have on this issue. Anyways I have a 200 HP Optimax Mariner on my new boat and am having some issues with it. It was running fine then I didn't use the boat for five or so days. Got on the boat to go fish and it started fine and we motored out of the channel. When I went to give it full throttle to get going it did not develop power like it has in the past but eventually got up. I then realized that full throttle was only getting it up to roughly 3800 RPM's. I changed the water filter and it did not have much water in it but did have a reddish/rust colored sediment. I then changed the filter in the motor also and it had the same sediment in it. I then tried running the boat for 20 or so minutes and am still having the same issues. Any thoughts or advice on what my next move should be? I would love to take it some place but as a student who fishes commercially $ is tough to come by and I need it to work asap as the quota is getting close to full this season.

Thanks in advance!

Coloradolakeboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1998 Mariner Optimax won't run at high rpm's

Try putting an inductive timing light on the plug wires and check to see if you are losing spark at higher rpms.. You could also check the stator with a homemade DVA and an Ohmeter.