Battery Wiring Question

cams0820

Recruit
Hey folks,

I'm have a battery wiring question with my 2000 Tahoe Q3. I have a 125 Mercury Tracker outboard on it. I disconnected my battery to have it checked and like a dumb___ I didn't mark all the wires. After a week when I went to reinstall I put them back like I thought they were supposed to go but something's not working. I've attached some pictures to help. The first pic shows a green wire (looks like it runs somewhere to the motor) that I thought went to negative.The 2nd and 3rd pics show 3 wires that apparently run from somewhere under the dash. I orginally thought that the 2 with fuses (red and orange wires) went to positve on the battery and the black wire went to negative. The last pics show one red wire (again from somewhere forward) that I thought went to positive. Does anhyone have a clue if my thinking is correct? I also assume that the battery cables are correct, I traced the leads and one goes to a red terminal on the engine (probably the starter) and I have run that to the positive terminal on the battery. The other lead is screwed into the engine block and I assume it is the negative. My tilt/trim works but when I go to start the engine I hear an electrical "pop" and nothing happens. Thanks in advance for any help you can give and please note, I'm 56 and afflicted with CRS (can't remember s__t).

IMG00255-20110808-0921[1].jpgIMG00254-20110808-0920[1].jpgIMG00253-20110808-0919[1].jpgIMG00256-20110808-0921[1].jpgP

Steve

hotrod53

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Battery Wiring Question

The red and orange should definately be +, you never put an inline fuse on the - side. The black with the red and orange is probably + and was someones poor choice of colors for a + , it's probably not long enough to reach the - terminal and why would you put it in the loom with the others if not +. I would guess that the black wire is wired to your bilge pump. I went out and bought some red and elictrical tape for my + side wires after accidently hooking it up backwards once. On mine, reverse wiring created quite the show and you can easily fry your charging rectifier by doing so.