Anyone with twin mercs have a stator go bad? question about performance loss as......

speedbuggy67

Cadet
I've been trying to track down a power loss issue on my 25ft proline with twin 200 offshore 1990/1993 Mercury outboards. I've done a bunch of searching and have a few mechanics baffled on my issue. When trying to get on plane it seems one motor is carrying the other as one tach rises much faster then the other. I have a feeling the high speed winding in the stator might be going bad. i swapped in a spare stator i got on a popped motor but it seems to be about the same. I disconnected the advance module, swapped plugs, new wires, swapped fuel lines between motors, changed out switchboxes between the popped spare motor and current motor and still no change. I would swap stators between motors but since one is a 1990 with single regulator and only two yellow wires and other is a 1993 with dual regulators i can't. Plugs came out with a thin coating of oil but nothing that raised a red flag to me. I've been using the boat for the last year with no change in performance. The two regulators are new i snagged off ebay(which i don't believe would affect power anyway) and i threw the timing light on each motor and cranked them and seem to get about 22 degrees on both so timing is ok. Would a bad trigger affect power like this? I ohm tested the stator and it seemed to be within spec but don't have easy access to a dva meter. Carbs are opening up fully as well so thats not the issue. ANy suggestion would be appreciated. If this sounds like a stator going bad would you highly recommend swapping new switchboxes in as well? Thanks in advance.

Scott