1989 Mariner 75 HP 3 Cyl - bogging no acceleration believe its a spark issue

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1989 Mariner 75 HP 3 Cyl - bogging no acceleration believe its a spark issue

One more question. I have two ignition coils (coil packs) for four cylinders. Coil #1 powers cylinders 2 & 3 and the second powers 1 & 4. I'm going to switch them and that should tell me if either is bad. My question is do I switch the input voltages also or do I leave the inputs in the original order. I would think if I switched the inputs it would screw up the firing order.
Thanks.

Read your header/post title and then these words. The 3 cyl has 3 cylinders and a CDM for each plug and I have replaced one on my engine, so they can and do fail and when they do, your engine idles fine, but when you punch outta-da-hole, it just wobbles and bogs. Just because your DVA said that you were getting voltage (under those measurement conditions), that may not be the case when you hole out. You could have 2 problems, the stator corrosion on #1 or 3 and a bad CDM on 3 or 1.

kjspylite

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1989 Mariner 75 HP 3 Cyl - bogging no acceleration believe its a spark issue

Thanks Mark. That sounds like a good rule of thumb. I guess I should look a little closer at my compression readings. However, it starts right up, idles very smoothly, and had no problem jumping up on plane and holding its speed.

Another thing, I took the readings with the other plugs in. I've since read that you should take all the plugs out and that should result in a higher reading. Also, the battery wasn't charged immediatly before the testing. I'll run a compression test with all the plugs out and on a freshly charged battery and see what I get. I'll also try some 2 cycle oil and check that against your 20% rule of thumb. I'll post back with my results.

moark

Cadet

same

nice to see someone pointing at the ignition system instead of the continuous rant about cleaning carbs :) i did the carb thing already the beast has lots of fuel. it is a spark advance issue i am sure as well on my motor. i will be conducting some test in the next few days but i am sure this is what i will find. it revs in neutral fine but has no jam under load. if this was a car forum i would blame the advance timing right now.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Timing is around 4 BTDC at 675 rpm idle to 20-22 at WOT. That's what my 90 triple uses. Marker is adjacent to the flywheel and numbers are on it.