will a 150 mariner magnum ii block fit on 150 mercury xr6

parkj5

Cadet
I have a 2000 model xr6 150 with two bad cylinders.I also have picked up a great Mariner magnum ii serial # oc273599. with a bad lower unit.i would like to know if i can pull the power head and put it on my xr6. The blocks look real close in size and featurs are close to the same.Thanks.

j_martin

Admiral
Re: will a 150 mariner magnum ii block fit on 150 mercury xr6

Yep, the Mag II (XR4) 2.4 block will bolt on to the XR6. You might have to move the exhaust (base) plate with it. It would be easier to just bolt the XR6 LU on the Mag II. It just bolts on with no issues. It may be a 4.5" prop LU, and the original magII is 4", but that doesn't matter except for matching a prop to it.

parkj5

Cadet

will their be any power loss with the 2.4 block?thanks by the way yoyu have saved me alot of money.

j_martin

Admiral

They're pretty close right out of the box. The 2.5 has just a bit more torque. The 2.4 XR4 is a vert reed engine with adequate carburetion (WH41's) on it. If you ditch the idle stabilizer and time it for 23?, you can prop it for about 6100 with a light load, and have enough to keep it in the mid 5's when the fishie's swimmin' pools are full and your fat buddy is with you. The idle stabilizer isn't needed if the engine is in good shape, and the advance part of the module just kills it over 5500 rpm's. The reeds and porting pretty much give up after 6 grand.

You can shave the heads and up the compression a bit, and really wake it up. Maybe too much for a 23 year old engine.

parkj5

Cadet

thanks im not looking for speed demond its going on a 2000 ranger r81.the boat is a lead sled anyhow im just not wanting to spend 3 grand right now as tight as money is today when i have this engine and its in great shape comp is 120 -115 on all 6 holes.

j_martin

Admiral

Just prop it so it'll spin up decent and it'll be fine. A ventilated prop will get you out of the hole a little better. Looks like the perfect place for a high five.

parkj5

Cadet

Ok i got the powerhead off the xr6 do i have to remove the top and bottum exaust plate?or is just the top good? By the top i mean the plate right under the powerhead. their is one more peice under that that holds the top dampner...thanks for all the help by the way.

Sprky

Petty Officer 1st Class

Take both adapter plates and the tuner.

parkj5

Cadet

First i want to start of by saying thanks for all the help i got on this site .I have swapped the power heads and the engine runs great. I do have one more ? about my tach. my tach is not working and i do not know where to start looking.Someone point me in the right direction please......Thanks guys.

j_martin

Admiral

Depends on what version of mag II you have. Rectifier or voltage regulator supplies the tachometer signal. If you have a voltage regulator, the grey wire that went to the XR6 VR now goes to whatever is on this one (grey wire). If it's a rectifier mounted on the switchbox mounting plate, then the grey wire goes to either yellow wire on the rectifier.

Assuming the battery is charging of course.

hope it helps
John