Mercury 40 Bigfoot (2006) Fuel Pump Issue?

SunTrackerCarib

Recruit
Hi Everyone - Trying to google this and came across these forums, look like a great resource however haven't yet found a solution to my issue so thought I should post, anyway here goes;

Firstly I have a Sun Tracker pontoon purchased new in 2006 with Mercury 40HP bigfoot, have had no issues with engine until now. I am located in the Caribbean and do not have access to a Mercury dealership, only a bunch of 'backyard' mechanics... Anyway launched the boat and it ran for about 1 minute, just enough time for me to get to the dock at the slip, after that it will start however won't accelerate OR run for longer than about 15 seconds.

Received plenty of advice at the dock, replaced fuel lines and priming ball, cleaned out fuel filter bowl inside cowl, tinkered for an hour and general 'advice' seems to be that the fuel pump is gone, was further advised there is both a low pressure and a high pressure pump in the engine. Have a friend traveling back to the US this week, was thinking I could remove both pumps (trying to find instructions online NOW), and send them with him for repair/replacement by his local dealer?

Not sure what alternatives I have, am open to suggestions if anyone could offer any, I've been told by guy here that parts could be $1K+ and he needs to get both (low and high) in as he cannot test, all seems a bit dubious? Any recommendations for a dealership I could talk to to buy the parts and get them shipped internationally???

Would appreciate any advice/assistance anyone can offer.

Thanks

Bigfoot 60

Recruit
Re: Mercury 40 Bigfoot (2006) Fuel Pump Issue?

I just had my 2003 Merc Bigfoot 60 repaired for the SAME issue.

The tech tells me that there is a rubber gasket /sleeve in the fuel injector assembly that is getting eaten away by ethanol in fuel. He's fixed EIGHT Merc engines with this issue in our local area this summer. The exact parts (at least according to my invoice) are: Gasket 27883213 ($13.39) and Sleeve 23855428 ($21.23).

My pontoon had the exact same symptoms. Would start and run at low RPM but not accelerate; then it got to the point that it would start but only idle for about ten seconds before cutting out (I guess that as the gasget deterioriated it got worse).

The problem is made worse if the engine is in extreme heat (as your surely is) and if the engine isn't run regularly. The fuel sitting in the injector assembly softens the gasket to the point that it fails.

My outboard has MAYBE 100 hours of run time on it so it was really frustrating to think that something major (like a fuel pump) had gone bad. Fortunately it was a pretty easy fix (ended up costing $250 with labor and on-site fees, but that's boat ownership, right?). There's really no alternative to ethanol fuel these days (at least in the US) unless you want to purchase marine gas (not an option for me; nearest big boat marina is 80 miles away). There isn't any additive (AFAIK) that will lessen the ethanol damage. In my case, using the boat more would probably have postponed the issue.

Hope this is helpful. I looked all over the internet for some info and haven't seen this bit of info posted elsewhere.

Bigfoot 60

Recruit

I just had my 2003 Merc Bigfoot 60 repaired for the SAME issue.

The tech tells me that there is a rubber gasket /sleeve in the fuel injector assembly that is getting eaten away by ethanol in fuel. He's fixed EIGHT Merc engines with this issue in our local area this summer. The exact parts (at least according to my invoice) are: Gasket 27883213 ($13.39) and Sleeve 23855428 ($21.23).

My pontoon had the exact same symptoms. Would start and run at low RPM but not accelerate; then it got to the point that it would start but only idle for about ten seconds before cutting out (I guess that as the gasget deterioriated it got worse). I tried all the same things you said you tried: fuel filter, look for leaks in fuel lines, etc.

The problem is made worse if the engine is in extreme heat (as your surely is) and if the engine isn't run regularly. The fuel sitting in the injector assembly softens the gasket to the point that it fails.

My outboard has MAYBE 100 hours of run time on it so it was really frustrating to think that something major (like a fuel pump) had gone bad. Fortunately it was a pretty easy fix (ended up costing $250 with labor and on-site fees, but that's boat ownership, right?). There's really no alternative to ethanol fuel these days (at least in the US) unless you want to purchase marine gas (not an option for me; nearest big boat marina is 80 miles away). There isn't any additive (AFAIK) that will lessen the ethanol damage. In my case, using the boat more would probably have postponed the issue.

Hope this is helpful. I looked all over the internet for some info when my outboard started doing this and haven't seen this bit of info posted elsewhere.

dj4you

Recruit

Hello Suntrackercarib,

I have the 40hp bigfoot with it in the shop as I type this. It is on a 19ft. Suntracker Party Barge. I've had the pontoon for sale for the summer so it was out in the sun. Fuel had been treated with Stable and Sea Foam. Was showing the boat and went to start the motor and it would not start. Figured what the heck, it is under warranty so off to the dealer I go. Fuel pump is shot, and Mercury will not stand by the warranty. Did I mention it has about 25 hours on the motor and is under warranty till 6.2.14? They blame the failure on bad gas. They blame the ethanol in the gas and don't recommend having gas for longer then 15 days in the motor !!!!!! Well us guys with 30 gal gas tanks and a 40hp bigfoot sucking a ounce a hour, I think 30 gals is going to last longer then 15 days. Has anyone else had problems with Mercury not standing behind they're warranty?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Hello Suntrackercarib,

I have the 40hp bigfoot with it in the shop as I type this. It is on a 19ft. Suntracker Party Barge. I've had the pontoon for sale for the summer so it was out in the sun. Fuel had been treated with Stable and Sea Foam. Was showing the boat and went to start the motor and it would not start. Figured what the heck, it is under warranty so off to the dealer I go. Fuel pump is shot, and Mercury will not stand by the warranty. Did I mention it has about 25 hours on the motor and is under warranty till 6.2.14? They blame the failure on bad gas. They blame the ethanol in the gas and don't recommend having gas for longer then 15 days in the motor !!!!!! Well us guys with 30 gal gas tanks and a 40hp bigfoot sucking a ounce a hour, I think 30 gals is going to last longer then 15 days. Has anyone else had problems with Mercury not standing behind they're warranty?

Ahhhh the old "blame it on ethanol" story -- the owner will not know the difference. 15 day stoerage of ethanol blended fuel is rediculous. Our boats are stored with Stabil OR SeaFoam in it for six months of the year and have been since Minnesota started using it in 1997. Mercury didn't refuse warranty, chances are the dealer didn't want to be bothered and saw an opportunity. And by the way -- any fuel treatment does no good unless the engine is run long enough to get that treatment through the system. Just adding it to the tank without running the engine does no good. And I'm a little leary about the "bad fuel pump" and then in the same sentence the fuel injector is the issue. Find some reputable service people folks. YOu are being taken for a ride.