Lower unit water seeping

gunnerb

Cadet
Can someone give me some input.please...... I took the lower unit off my 77 merc.1150 inline 6. I think it was the first time it had ever been off. Had to pry it loose. Got it off and rebuilt the water pump. I followed the manual, to the tee, putting it back on. Started it up to day. It is "peeing" strong, however i noticed there is water trickling out where the lower unit bolts to the upper unit. Not alot. Is this normal ?? I never really noticed it before. Ever thing seems to be working fine other wise. This is the first time i have taken off a lower unit, and put back on. Thanks, gunnerb.

HELP PLEASE: IS THERE SOME ONE WHO CAN GIVE ME A ANSWER, ,please......

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Lower unit water seeping

Well, there is a lot of water being dumped into the space around the waterpump. See the grates above the antiventilation plate? That is one of the main exits for water, after it circulates thru the motor. Are the midsection bolts tight?

Did you grease the driveshaft and shift shaft splines? If not, I recommend it, as the driveshaft is stainless, but is can still seize to the crankshaft.

gunnerb

Cadet
Re: Lower unit water seeping

Thanks for reply. there is more water coming out of the grates since repairing water pump. im assuming thats good. i'll recheck the midsection bolts, maybe they need to be tighter. yes i did grease the drive shaft and the shift shaft splines. just like the manual said. again thank you.