1982 Mariner 50hp Lower Unit Shift Cam HELP NEEDED

gjeka02

Cadet
Changed the water pump on my 1982 Mariner 50hp lower unit S/N 5965200, and I am having trouble getting the shift shaft right. My motor has a sloped cam on the shift shaft instead of the the sliding clutch shown in the manual. When you shift gears the female spline in the leg moves CCW and doesn't move CW. Also, the shift shaft spline on the lower unit, moves about 30? CW to match as if it is spring loaded. It doesn't move CCW at all. So I can't move the shift shaft on the lower unit. I tried to using pliers, but I didn't want to mess up the spline so I stopped before something bad happened. Right now I am in forward on the lower unit, with the prop ratcheting CW and not turning in reverse. While working on the water pump I accidentally turned the shift shaft CW and heard a click.

How do you get the spline shaft on the lower unit to shift back into neutral without chancing tearing up the spline on the shift shaft? Is there a tool such as a spline socket or reverse torx socket that works? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have attached an image of the sloped cam.

IMAG0330.jpg

gjeka02

Cadet
Re: 1982 Mariner 50hp Lower Unit Shift Cam HELP NEEDED

Problem SOLVED. Thanks to everyones help and a little ingenuity. I bought a E12 reverse torx socket and it fit perfect on my 3/8" outer diameter spline shaft. I used it with my rachet and simulataneously moved the prop CCW and walla the spline shaft moved rather easily. Moving the prop was mentioned on another thread. I set the spline to neutral and have no doubt it will fit like a glove when it stops raining and I get a chance to install the lower unit. By the way, in neutral with the prop spinning freely in both directions, the top of the ram is lined up perfect with the front of the motor.
I will post the results when I reinstall.

gjeka02

Cadet
Re: 1982 Mariner 50hp Lower Unit Shift Cam HELP NEEDED

I installed the lower unit today in neutral. Worked perfect and shifts through all gears. Fishing time!