Old Merc 1000 Timing and Link-Sync

wayne869

Cadet
Re: Old Merc 1000 Timing and Link-Sync

Ok I did that but I have 12 volts at the coil. Never seen ballast resisters do that. They usually break circuit when they go bad. The get super hot when running. Will any ballast resisters work from an auto place?

kwik_uk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not trying to hijack here but I had a very similar issue to this on my 1000SS that I'm trying to get sorted to replace my blown 1000.

When I first assembled the engine I'd split the flywheel and not put it back together in the correct place. I followed the workshop manual and info from here to get it sort of in the right place. However I think I'm in exactly the same position you are right now.

My problem is I haven't got the original marks on the flywheel to tell me where 0.464" should be. Also I don't just have the timing mark on my flywheel, I also have an alignment mark too.

So what I've done is set the # piston to 0.464", place the flywheel (top part) on and turn it until I can get the alignment mark to point to the exact centre of the top of the distributor, then turn the distributor so it hits it's idle stops and then turn line the pulley up on the top with the alignment mark on the flywheel. Replace belt, tighten etc

I've timed it using a light at it is spot-on 36.5 degrees which is where the manual says it should be.

When I try and crank it over it won't actually start but will occasionally fire, but only for about less than a second.

The carbs, distributor, coil, leads were taken from my previously working engine that blew a water jacket, so I know the're all fine.

I'm stumped :confused:

wayne869

Cadet

I found my problem, although I had replaced the condensers with new ones, the one on Nr1 points was bad. replaced it with another new one and it is now running on all cylinders.

wayne869

Cadet

Put Number 1 piston at TDC with a dial indicator, then remount your flywheel line or 0 mark with the distributor pulley. Then follow your directions to set your total time. The flywheel has to be set to TDC in order to set the total advance right. If that don't work you may want to start a new thread.

wayne869

Cadet

Well the engine idles good, runs on all cylinders, but I took it out to test and it just bogs at WOT. I just can't seem to figure this thing out. I brought it back to the shop and tested the total time once again and it is correct. What should I look for now? My primer bulb and fuel line is new but it take a long time to pump up and it never gets hard even when you point the fuel flow arrow verticle. Could this be a fuel starvation problem? I tried choking the carbs by had while WOT but that actually slowed the RPMs. How do I diagnose this?