15 Hp vs 20 hp Mercury

ozenine

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello,
We are picking between new 15hp Merc vs 20 hp. It is intended for use in deep/wide aluminum 13-14 footer. Boat weights 230 pounds. Usually I have 3 people, ocasionally 4.
Do you guys think that it is worth 700 bucks to go to 20 hp?

One more question, do you think a woman can pull start this motor in emergency?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: 15 Hp vs 20 hp Mercury

1. Probably, since you usually have that big a load. Check your capacity plate in this regard, for the HP as well as all weight. Compare actual weight of the 4 of you; don't rely on the "No. of persons" on the plate (but don't exceed it).

2. Depends on the woman! Actually it depends a lot on the compression; my sister and daughters could pull start my old 18 OMC but have a hard time with an old 20 merc. new motors might be easier.
There won't be any real difference between a 15 and a 20. But one thing that makes a big difference is how she can sit/stand to do the pulling--it's hard in a tippy boat. My girls would sit facing the motor, put both feet on the transom, and pull with both hands toward their chest, using body leverage. Some boats aren't set up that way. (growing up, you were big enough to take the boat out when you were big enough to pull start it). Anyway, have them practice.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

With 4 people you're at you max capacity if the weight of all passengers averages 150 lbs.

Your boat is rated for a 25 hp. max probably.

With that small of a boat and the size load you usually carry, I'd go for the 20 hp. Todays pull start outboards start a lot easier than yesteryears.

WN2712NJ

Seaman

Check the manufacturer's specs, it is very likely that the 15 is just a "de-tuned" 20. Meaning that they may have the same size engine block. So probably the same w.r.t pull starting.

If you are buying from a dealer, I would suggest asking them to let you try pull-starting both a cold and a warm motor. Pull starting a cold motor is a lot more difficult, particularly if it is stubborn and takes more than 2 or 3 pulls to start it. I find with our Tohatsu 20 (comes from the same factory as the Mercury and Nissan motors) it can take 10 or 15 seconds of cranking with the electric starter to start it when "cold and dry", meaning that I ran the gas out of the carb the last time I used it (as you should if storing the engine for more than a few weeks). That would translate into a LOT of pulls on the starter cable! With the electric starter, it gets the job of pulling gas into the carb.

When warm, the engine starts with a single half-hearted pull on the cable. Electric start adds maybe 10-20 pounds to the weight of the motor, plus the weight of a small battery (garden tractor size should do).

-dm

Star

Chief Petty Officer

I own a 15hp 05 4 stroke on a heavy 14' alum. With 2 people (360#) snacks, and cooler we can only make 15 mph with a tail wind. I recomend an electric 20 hp at least. the fuel usage is great on the 15, but when you need the extra speed to get off the lake when a storm blows in the extra horses will be appreciated. Yes you can pull it and start it if you take care of your fuel systems, and you find a competent macanic, But just pushing a button can get you going quickly when you most need it! The added cost disapears over a 5 to 8 year life. The added weight of the starter, battery and bigger motor means you have to throw one of those four people overboard though.

ozenine

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Guys,
I have found a very nice deal for the 13 foot Sylvan Alaskan (deep and wide). it is rated for 700lb, 4 people, 25 hp.

Thje price difference between 15 manual and 20 electric is 1250 bucks. Package with 15hp costs 4500++.

Do you think the boat with 15hp will plane with 2 people, 3 people?

My wife can start my 6hp and i am concerned about her starting it only for emergency purposes, we usually go together, she never goes on her own. But the boat will have a trolling motor anyways, so she can use it.