Mercury stator test

trigby

Seaman Apprentice
Hey fellas, Has anyone ever tested a stator with a DVA that was within specs but turns out to be faulty???????????

hempfarmer

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Mercury stator test

In my case it tested okay but started to fail me from time to time especially after I was towing tubers all afternoon. My theory is that once the stator became really hot it started to fail.

trigby

Seaman Apprentice

mine is running rough a idle wont stay running unless i give it throtttle (150 efi) and when i unplug the barrel connector act the motor or turn the ignition switch halfway off the motor picks up rpms thinking it must me something in the stator, i already swapped out switchboxes, ecu ,coils,trigger. but it runs ok at WOT.gonna swap the stator next.

j_martin

Admiral

The only commonality in your actions is the kill circuit. Likely a mouse bite somewhere allowing a high resistance path to ground, or a faulty ignition or kill switch. Stator is the most expensive and least likely fix.

Been there, seen that.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Erratici behavior of an EFI is usually found to be a poor connection somewhere or a marginal ground connection.

Take an exacto knife to the male pins of the cannon plug, DISCONNECT the battery first. Slide the blade down the slit on each pin just a bit to swell each pin just enough to ensure a solid connection.

Check the ECU ground(s), maybe add another from the ECU box to the motor block.

Make SURE all connections are clean, bright, and tight.

trigby

Seaman Apprentice

ok i will try that,I already replaced the ignition switch and it still does it an i diconnected the black and yellow wires from the switchboxes and it still does it, but i will try the cannon plug next,thanks Tim.