Loss of power '95 75hp mariner

scalebuilder

Cadet
:confused:I was moving from one fishing site to another this Saturday and the motor was running fine as it had been all day. Suddenly, it lost power. It stayed running, and would idle great if I pull the throttle lever back but it would not produce power to get the boat back on plane. I bumped the "choke" button and it would go to normal RPM for a few seconds then back off. I shut the engine down one time and restarted immediately. The engine ran normally for about 30 seconds. I bumped the choke/enrichner button again and once again went to normal RPM. It seems like a fuel delivery problem to me. I even had my buddy squeeze the bulb while it was running but it didn't make a difference. Any thoughts?

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: Loss of power '95 75hp mariner

Use a small bowl to catch the fuel, pull the float bowl drain plugs, one at a time.

Look to see if you get any 'beads' of water out of any of the carbs.

Contaminated fuel tank, water lays in the bottom til it gets deep enough or sloshed abouot and picked up, once into a carb the surface tension of the water 'bead' effectively blocks the fuel passage. Bumping the choke opens a seperate fuel passage and the motor picks up.

Install a water seperating fuel filter, change it annually or sooner.

scalebuilder

Cadet
Re: Loss of power '95 75hp mariner

Thanks. I'll take a look at that this afternoon and repost later.