1989 60 horse mariner-reinstallation of lower unit

scott54

Cadet
I replaced the water pump impeller and reinstalled the lower unit. The pump works great but it does not shift and is stuck in forward. I may have missed the shifting spline because I had trouble linning it up. Any suggestions??

scott54

Cadet
Re: 1989 60 horse mariner-reinstallation of lower unit

I lowered the lower unit and managed to get the spline lined up and together. Now it goes into neutral and forward. Should the propeller go in reverse when I put it in reverse without the motor running?

MacDaddy21

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes it should still shift into reverse

scott54

Cadet

It does shift into reverse but the propeller does not turn counter clock wise. Should it and if so what could be the problem.

MacDaddy21

Petty Officer 1st Class

At one point, I had a similar problem with mine. I was told the prop didn't have to turn CCW. I dont know if that is right or wrong, but I have run mine in the water in Reverse with no issues.

scott54

Cadet

At one point, I had a similar problem with mine. I was told the prop didn't have to turn CCW. I dont know if that is right or wrong, but I have run mine in the water in Reverse with no issues.

I have had the boat out several times and it shifts great. No problems with it shifting.