newbie help please

thunderbolt_650

Recruit
hi im 16 and we have a couple of boats
i have decided to repair and use the old speedboat thats ben sitting up the back for a couple of years
i fixed choke yesterday and rewired it into a new switch
took her to the wash threw on the muffs and put the choke on and it fires straight up running like a dream
i am getting an joiner to make me new seat frames as they are damaged and rotted and then an upolster to cover them ( dad owns a truck company so i have all tools etc ands ride motocross so i know my way around an engine)
i want to know what in the way of oils does my outboard (an mercury thunderbolt 650 4 cylinder its red and black covering) have and what/ how do i replace them and also what plughs does it use ? thanks

Handyman1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: newbie help please

hi try to get the serial# go to your locale marina they know what spark plug you need for the motor for the oil just a reg marine grade gear oil they should have that too and if you want to change it your self ask them for an gear oil pump. But for the first run i would put just reg 75-90 w gear oil then drain it and see if it still clean and not milky. If it is clean just put the marine grade in and you are good to go if it is milky you have a leak you need to change the oil seals i hope this helps good luck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: newbie help please

The correct spark plug is a UL-19V, use a TWC-III outboard oil mixed at 50:1, (I perfer to run my Merc's at 24:1). Just my .03 worth.