V6 Timing Engine.Setting idle in water,in gear question.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade
G'day all,setting my timing tomorrow after carb rebuild.Says to set idle in gear in water.Can I do this at home in a large bin of water.Can't see how to check it in river,unless I'm standing in water.

j_martin

Admiral
Re: V6 Timing Engine.Setting idle in water,in gear question.

G'day all,setting my timing tomorrow after carb rebuild.Says to set idle in gear in water.Can I do this at home in a large bin of water.Can't see how to check it in river,unless I'm standing in water.

It's a one hand adjustment, usually made while monkey hanging off the back of the boat.

If you opt for the waist deep water route, shut the engine off, guess on the adjustment, then get out of the way and try it. Don't run the engine in gear while standing near it. An accidental blip of the throttle will suck your legs through the screw like so much sausage.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks J,my other option was filling a trash bin with water and testing at home.I'd never stand in water....never an option.
Any knowledge on this would be helpful.

j_martin

Admiral

The difference is the back pressure on the exhaust, which is sort of a personal thing with each engine. Best bet would be to set it a couple of hundred rpm high on the cuff. Probably would be pretty close. If you can't do it dynamically, guess, adjust, and splash is the only routine you have left unless you have a professional testing tank and jacks to adjust the boat for natural water level on the engine.

In my experience, it really isn't a very touchy adjustment. As long as it is high enough to keep running and low enough so you don't reduce the diameter of your gears when you engage them, it should be good. Changes a bit with the weather anyway.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks John,it's always idled around the 1100rpm on the muffs and I felt a little high in gear in river due to occasional crunch,though that could just be me with a lazy shift.So my guess will be adjust to 1000rpm then take it to river and see how she goes.My in gear adjustment is between 600-700rpm in manual.
When I adjust(guess) on hose muffs should I leave it in neutral or put it in gear?

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks John,it's always idled around the 1100rpm on the muffs and I felt a little high in gear in river due to occasional crunch,though that could just be me with a lazy shift.So my guess will be adjust to 1000rpm then take it to river and see how she goes.My in gear adjustment is between 600-700rpm in manual.
When I adjust(guess) on hose muffs should I leave it in neutral or put it in gear?

j_martin

Admiral

Won't make any difference as there is no load on the prop.