Mercury 1965 65HP Throttle Issue?

ohdannyboy

Cadet
After a few weeks of troubleshooting, I finally got the engine to turn on. Now my problem is while I push the throttle lever forward slowly the propeller starts to spin but but at a slow constant speed. Even after after pushing the lever all the way forward the speed remains the same. The same thing happens when I put it in reverse. While pushing the throttle lever forward the engine RPM does not increase. Thanks in advance.

adeneo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Mercury 1965 65HP Throttle Issue?

You need to check the cables from the control to the engine. A cable is either loose or broken.

ohdannyboy

Cadet

No loose cables. The guy I bought the boat from did say he installed new Quicksilver cables. I did notice when I push the throttle cable forward it moves the bracket lever to the magneto however the magneto does not rotate. Does it need a throttle adjustment? Same thing happens in reverse.

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Something is not connected or come loose because the magneto has to move in order for the carbs to open.You need a diagram of how everything goes together, It sounds like the lock cam which prevents your shifting into gear when the engine is idled too fast is not in sinc.

ohdannyboy

Cadet

I know that the control cable is not loose or broken. The lever to the magneto is moving when I push the control lever forward. I have to start from there and see if its not connected somewhere. As you stated, it may be an issue with the lock cam. Any idea how to sync it? I have diagrams of my engine. Thanks again for your quick responses.

Mi duckdown

Commander

You need An OEM MERC MANUAL for that motor and serial number. To buy one.
It will be your best investment.