Excessive fuel running out of carbs. '96 150 Mercury

KermieB

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a "new to me" '96 150 Mercury. When I brought it home I had it in the shop because it wouldn't start. (that's another thread) and now it's running in the yard on the hose (haven't been in the water yet) but I noticed when I took the cowl off, the foam on the inside near the carbs smelled like gas and it was stained liked it had been doing this for quite a while. I had it running with the air box off and I can see that at low idle, the carbs have a decent amount of unspent fuel dripping out and into the cover. I'm not sure about higher idle.

Is that an adjustment that can be made or is that a part that needs to be replaced?

reddogg

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Excessive fuel running out of carbs. '96 150 Mercury

Where on the carb is the fuel comming from? I had a carb leaking fuel around the main body gasket which indicated time for a rebuild:) is it comming from a hose connection to the carb? if so try tightening the connection. If allot of gas is comming out it coud indicate a stuck float or float needle. To be honest, with the age of the motor, it wouldn't hurt to rebuild the carbs anyhow. Dunno if you've ever done this but it's easy and the rebuild kits are about $20 each so not that expensive. If you just need to replace the gaskets and float needle most any kit will work, but if you need to replace the float get an oem kit as most aftermarket kits don't come with the floats. Lol, it will probibly take you longer and be more difficult to get the carbs off the motor than it is to rebuild them:) Another bit of advice is to go and get a glass fuel filter with replaceable elements and mount it under the cowling in a horizontol position (i got mine at wally world). This lets you see how well your fuel pumps are working and also lets you see any crap getting past your main fuel/water sepperator/filter. It's a good diagnostic tool:)

Red

j_martin

Admiral
Re: Excessive fuel running out of carbs. '96 150 Mercury

Needle valves are dirty or the floats are out of adjustment. A missing gasket under a seat will do that as will a bad emulsion tube gasket inside the carburetor. If you've opened them up and put them back together without a new gasket kit, just look in the mirror for the trouble.

hope it helps
john