littlebird13

Recruit
I have a 1999 Mercury EFI 175 hp
The engine has not been run in a while and had old gas in it
it just turns over but will not start
There is spark
I drained gas and put in fresh gas
i changed fuel filter

someone told me thefuel evaporated from fuel rail and need to get oil out of rail so gas can get thru.

what do u guys think and is this something i can do

thanks

kenny

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help boat wont start

Check fuel pressure. Pump may be stalled or bad.

Re: Help boat wont start

what's it taste like? ... I have seen an 80 gallon tank make 2 gallons of water a month with ethanol blend, so are you sure you are using gas and not water. I am a Yam not a Merc! So I think? - drain your fuel from the engine into a Mason jar, empty your fuel filter into the jar, empty your oil water separator in to jar. Might need a bigger jar. Water sinks and gas floats, look for crap. Next push fuel from the tank all the way to the piston...can you get a wet plug? Is your prime bulb hard? This is a common problem on a lot of motors - many parts are aluminum, zinc based, or pot metal. The water and alcohol blend cause corrosion of these parts seen as a white crystal. In most fuel injected motors there is a back flow preventer that will have a piston and a spring. It is a tight clearance in the fitting (usually around the size of your figure). corrosion locks up the piston and you do not get any gas past that point. I had to press the last one apart with a vise. Press up you priming bulb, trace out our fuel line, put out your cigarette, and loosen the first connection you come to. If you got fuel snug it up and move to the next one. If you can collect the fuel in a jar instead of your lawn you can look for stuff in the fuel. Your 1999 hoses may have issue with ethanol if so you will find some stuff. Your EFI does not like stuff it likes gas, so if you start finding chunks of hose in your fuel it's time for a new weekend project!